Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Asa King of Judah

I just have to share one more interesting tid-bit I read last week in the book of 1 Kings. Aren't you excited?
I Kings 15:11-14
"Asa did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, as his father David had done. He expelled the male shrine prostitutes from the land and got rid of all the idols his fathers had made. He even deposed his grandmother fro her postition as queen mother (whoa! bad grandma!) because she had made a repulsive Asherah pole"....
on to verse 14...
"Although he did not remove the high places, Asa's heart was fully committed to the Lord all his life."(emphasis mine) I've always wanted to write that. Like I'm a scholar whose knowledge is so vast and great that the emphasis I place on a sentence needs to be declared as mine. I feel great.

But isn't that interesting? I had to look up high places online. The answer I found in wikipedia said that in Old Testament times a high places was considered such because it was a place of worship of a god (or gods), usually set on a hill. So how could it have been said of Asa that his heart was fully committed to the Lord although he didn't remove the high places? Especially since that was his job. He was king. Besides, he got rid of all the other crap. Why not that? I actually don't know the answer to this, I have just been meditating on it since I read it. If you have thoughts, please leave a comment. I'd love to hear it.

Anyway,
Since I'm still trying to get pictures and video to build my stash back up from my spring clean, I only have a couple of pictures here to share. Both of them are pictures Jason took that I thought are exquisite because I wanted to use that word in a sentence. Here's the first one:
I call this "sign". Because it is one. Isn't it neat? This makes me want to own a business.
This picture is of the sand dunes where Jason, Jenessa and I went when we were visiting in Colorado a few years ago. But I think this picture looks fake. Doesn't it look fake? I'm telling you it looks fake. So your answer is yes, it looks fake. But it's actually not. After looking at it a while I got to thinking, "this place could be God's ant farm". Except no ants live there. That I know of. And besides, the ants would have to be really really big. Like as big as dogs.

3 comments:

Ponz, Lil Ponz, Real Lil Ponz and Baby Ponz said...

Hi Joy! Thanks for leaving a comment! Next time I see Ashley I will give her some carmels for you. Thanks for checking out our site. We are so excited about our adoption and I love sharing our journey with others! Have a great week!

Sarah

By the way, I love the sand dune pic. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

wow - that is an incredible picture. it's so "velvety" looking - it does look fake.

Kevin Flick said...

ok...tomorrow it will be one week that you have not blogged. come on!!!! you are slowing down. don't let me down! haha!
me