Monday, June 23, 2008

Landscaping 101

I'm ba-ck! I was deeply entangled in this thing called work. If you don't have to work, I don't recommend it. I'd much rather get paid to blog. Any takers on that? Call me.
So I have a lot to catch up on! But no worries, I won't make this the world's longest blog post and attach a bazillion photos. Though if there were a contest, or a possible entry into Guisness book of World Records for that, I might consider it.
Let's get started!
Several weeks ago Jason and I decided to relandscape our front yard. Though we had no clue what we were doing. We just drove around neighborhoods scoping out ideas of landscaping we liked. I'm sure we looked like neighborhood stalkers, driving real slowly and pointing out the car window at plants or mulch. But who cares? Now our yard looks better than theirs! Hey. That rhymed.
Once we had in mind what we thought we liked we headed to the nursery to pick out plants, trees, mulch, rock and other such landscaping items. The things I liked, Jason didn't. Things Jason liked, I didn't. But it was hot that day and we were both ready to get this done we so just grabbed some random things and left. No I'm kidding. We finally found some plants we agreed on. Jason actually had several sketches all drawn out of the landscaping. They really looked nice. -I think he used a ruler! And after about 4 grueling hours of digging, planting, laying down mulch and stone here are the before and after results:
BEFORE: (ugly)
AFTER: (stupendous)
The tree is a Nishiki something or other, then there's magic carpet on either side of the big princess plant and then to the far right is a burning bush. Moses would be proud.
They're hard to see, but if you look closely at the pictures of the plants by the garage door (there is one on each side) we had decided to plant a little bush/tree thing (technical terms of course) called a "boxwood poodle". It's so cute! I took a picture of one at the nursery because we went once and just took pictures of the plants we liked, then came home and sorted through all of them making final decisions. This is what a boxwood poodle looks like:
Isn't it a cutie-patootie?! They do have to be trimmed. I'm all for a high-maintenance cute plant.

And lastly, let me leave you with a memorable image:
Jason wore his favorite tank top the day we landscaped.
I highly recommend Solarcaine if this ever happens to you...

4 comments:

ashley said...

WELCOME BACK! the landscaping looks great! :)

Anonymous said...

you're back!!!! yeah...i kept checking! i was missing you. i started my new blog because i wanted to be crafty and tell funny stories that weren't so much family oriented. haah! not everyone knows about it so it's kind of like my secret identity. haha! i'm kind of addicted to sewing now too. i'm helping my mother in law out actually. and yes, help me with my hair! :) when? when? when?
mindy

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I get to read 3 blogs in 1 day! :) lol The landscaping looks oh so lovely....and Jason's back looks like it was sore for a while!!hah.

♥Kelsey Kakes♥ said...

Wow...my first comment in a while;P I wouldn't like to be Jason at that moment...and it figures I never get tan, I only burn...so it looks like i'll be looking like that anyway (maybe not so bad!)