Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Buen Dia

On Friday I volunteered to help out at an event for Dawson's Spanish class. As I was waiting by his teacher's classroom to receive my assignment, I was surprised to see a kid walk right by me with a sombrero on his head. Turns out the kid was my son.
Jason was out of town on a business trip so Evan had to tag along with me for the event, which meant I had to put him to work in order to avoid all manner of whining along the lines of "I'm booooooooored".
I got assigned to help out in the art room where student's would be learning about and creating "Ojo de Dios" or "God's". It's a craft made with yarn. This is the picture of Dawson's final project, though he told me he grew impatient with the teacher's instruction because it wasn't making any sense so he just did his own thing.
The lead teacher tried showing me how to make one so that I could help teach the students. I couldn't grasp the concept so I volunteered to have the students come to me when they were finished so that I could use the glue gun to glue down the leftover yarn piece. I'm so helpful. 
I told Evan it would be great if he could pass out the craft sticks and then make sure all of the yarn was straightened out on the table. He took over like a boss.
One of the stations the student's went to was a taco truck sitting at the entrance to the school. Evan and I went out to the taco truck to place an order and one of the students shared her sombrero with Evan. 
Evan and Dawson apparently have a similar gene that encourages them to pose immediately if there's a sombrero on their head.
I tool 3 pictures because to tell the truth, it was so bright outside that the screen on my phone was too dark to see whether or not I was actually taking a picture so I kept pushing the button and hoping for the best.
Dawson thought having him mom at his beck and call was something to be admired and asked me to please go get him a coke at the taco truck so I did because I love him and all that crap. So he sat and sipped his Coke during the class God's eye presentation which enabled his lack of knowledge when it was his turn to create said masterpiece.
It took him 100 years to pick out the colors he wanted for this project. Finally I told him the apocalypse was drawing near and if he didn't have a replica of God's eye to wield at Zombies his death was imminent. 
Evan wandered over and made himself at home at Dawson's table.
I was endeared by the brotherly love Dawson showed Evan, while chatting away with him, not realizing I noticed or was taking pictures. Now that I have evidence that it can be done, you better believe I'll be using this picture at home during their hourly confrontations to remind them that they love each other.
One of the parents in the room had the brilliant idea to take a class picture. Yeah, the parent wasn't me. By the time I tuned in, the class had already dispersed.
The classroom across from this one had a face painting station. Evan asked if he could have his face painted like Dawson's. When I asked him what he wanted, he explained he wanted the "shaky things", which I realized meant maracas. I know. Come to me for all your interpretive needs.
By the time he was halfway through is Coke, he was coming alive.
Of course this was just in time for us to head home. 
I asked Dawson to let me get a picture of the maracas on his cheek for memories sake.
But when you have beautiful mountains lingering just outside your car window, I understand if you can't focus on the task at hand. Like driving.
We were at a stoplight by the way. I don't want people contacting telling me I endanger my children's lives because I take pictures of cheeky maracas while driving. I probably won't ever use that same sentence ever again. 
Thank you all for joining me on this volunteer day. 
May the Ojo de Dios be with you.

No comments: