Friday, April 13, 2018

They Woke HIM Up

When He got into the boat, His disciples followed Him. 24 And suddenly a violent storm arose on the sea, so that the boat was being covered by the waves; but Jesus was sleeping. 25 And the disciples went and woke Him, saying, “Lord, save us, we are going to die!” 26 He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was [at once] a great andwonderful calm [a perfect peacefulness]. 27 The men wondered in amazement, saying, “What kind of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
Matthew 8:23-27

I've  immersed myself in a bible study by Beth Moore entitled "The Quest" which has me ruminating a bit on the humanity of Jesus.
In particular I'm wondering if Jesus ever had bed head.
To be clear, I'm not asking if he ever had a hair out of place that was blown about by the wind, (like the times I ask for a fan when I'm having my picture taken). 
No. I'm referring to "just woke up haven't had coffee don't even remember I have hair" moments. Like this:
This was me the day after my 40th birthday. I know. I totally look 39.  (You can read all about my 40th birthday here). Surely if Jesus had bad hair days He can understand why I've written nearly 100 million different blog posts needing opinions about my hair cut, style and color. Leads me to believe that He can relate enough for me to actually interpret "Come to me all you who are weary and I will give your hair rest."
What I really want to know though, is, how did Jesus wake up?
 The disciples woke GOD up!
The God who might have bed head slept.
I think maybe preschoolers should focus on that verse for a bit a memorizing.
Jesus wept. Jesus slept.
Slept looks weird all typed out now. 
Did the disciples just yell and yell in a frantic fury of fear to get Jesus up, or did they shake him? 
Did He sit straight up? Did His eyes pop open and scan the surroundings? If He was a side sleeper He had to roll over and sit up.
Make no mistake.
If you are in a violent (very strong destructive force) storm with waves crashing in on you and you are being thrown about in a boat ... you have to yell in order to be heard. If there's someone in the same boat with you. Literally. I guess my imagination is equally intrigued at the thought of frantic screaming disciples as it is with Jesus sleeping. Did Jesus dream in black & white or in color? I'm glad I got that question out there before I forgot, because I'm hoping Jesus answers all these questions one day when He's reading my blog.

Just a few hours before this storm caught the men by surprise, Jesus had spoken a sentence that healed a leper who wasn't even in his vicinity. Soon after, He simply touched the hand of Peter's mom-in-law and her fever vanished. 
All that healing would make me tired too. Probably.

I understand the desperation that sent the disciples scrambling to rouse a sleeping hero even though they'd just observed several supernatural events in rapid succession. It wasn't their miracle, you see. They needed to partake in a miracle of their own.
God met me in a supernatural way when my sister died
But that didn't stop me from screaming for Him when my dad got sick or when my dad died.

If you find yourself in a situation that leaves you feeling like you need to scream to be heard, just remember...
Jesus is in the boat with you, and the audacity of waking Him up was already left to a few men who've been there, done that.

No comments: