Tuesday, April 3, 2018

The Volunteer

On Tuesday's I volunteer for Evan's class in the library. I've also volunteered in Dawson's classes in one capacity or another, but I guess I didn't have the wherewithal to take pictures of me in my volunteer superhero costume. If you'll look at the picture of my shoes, you'll notice that they nurse's shoes and that has nothing to do at all with volunteering. I just want everyone to know that I recently bought comfortable shoes.
I told the class to please pay attention to the librarian. Clearly, Evan listens to me even while at school.
I'm guessing it's safe to post that picture on the internet because the students are looking ahead and not at the camera. But just in case, I went to great pains to adjust the next photo of all the students looking at the camera so that I can't be held liable in a court of law.
I do think the "Elmo drew a picture of my class" effect is pretty clever.
Volunteering in the library is way better than signing up to grade papers. 
Except when a student raises their hand and stares at you intently and just as you're asking them what they need they pee on the rug. 
In those instances I'd choose to grade papers. But only if the papers weren't riddled with mathematical problems.
 Speaking of rugs. This rug could only be better if it was a different color with a different design. But it's not like it's in my unfinished basement. I suppose it's suitable for a library.

Here's me proving that I'm there to keep the peace.
 Today's book reading brought to us by the librarian was a very humorous book entitled "Ragweed's Farmdog Handbook". When the books are funny and interesting like that one was, I'm totally capable of focusing. Otherwise, I tend to internally wish one of the students would create drama so that I can shush them or utilize my volunteering role with bossiness to pass the time a bit quicker.
After story time, the librarian reads through all of the names of the students and lets them know who still has books checked out and therefore are unable to check out books on this day. If I were a library villain, rather than a volunteer superhero, I'd make it my aim to render all library books delinquent.
It reminds of the days when I worked in an elementary library right after I graduated from college. I was probably the most exciting non-librarian to ever to grace the inside of a  library. But that has nothing to do with children and delinquent library books.

Evan has two types of books he checks out every.single.Tuesday.
1. Lego City
2. Star Wars
Here he is rummaging through the Star Wars books looking for a book he's most likely brought home before but doesn't remember. I always steer students clear of of the "Magic Eye" books because the only way I can see the pictures in those books is to cross my eyes and all children know that if you cross your eyes for too long they stay that way.
 Eventually he gets in line to check out his book. These children are not the best as the art of a straight line. But every now and then I subdue my volunteer powers and allow such things to be overlooked. It's during this time that all students who brought a quarter with them are able to purchase a scratch and sniff bookmark. Evan has brought home one that smells like candy canes and one that smells like pancakes. I do not encourage any student to purchase the "eggs and bacon" bookmark. It smells like flatulence.
 I left the kids to their own demise and asked Evan to please take a "your mom volunteers at the library on Tuesday's" selfie with me. 
I took a moment to explain that he needed to look at the camera and tried again.
 In case you were wondering, today I wore "Mauved" lipstick to the library. I noticed an increase in my volunteerism with it on.
That was the last photo I took in the library today.
But in a few weeks I'm volunteering for Dawson's Spanish class and they are bringing in a taco truck! Can you imagine the Nacho Libre eagle powers I'll possess as a volunteer on that day? 
All for the Lord's Chips.

1 comment:

K said...

Best librarian volunteer mom ever. Not once did you let your OCD kick in and make the kids line up straight in alphabetical order or organize them into ones that are allowed to get books and ones that are not. You did not make the boys get on one side and the girls on the other and everyone with khaki pants and quarters in front. 😂 I'm proud of you! Oh and you look really tan in these photos, it must be the mauved lipstick accentuating your inner beauty ❤ I love you my sister!