Sunday, May 12, 2013

MOM: A Tribute

Dear Mom,
It's me. The baby of the family. Of course by saying that I'm referring to chronological order. No comments from any of my sisters for that one! I'll get to your tribute in just a minute mom. I think I should use this minute to tattle on Anita, because one time she called me a spoiled brat. She's not too old to spank.
Ahem. Dear Mom,
You were born:
You weren't questioning that were you? Hopefully I just put your mind at ease.
This is beautiful you.
Actually, all of the pictures I'm going to post of you are beautiful you. But let's begin with high school.
I wish you still had those glasses. Do you remember what you were wearing on picture day? Because black is a good color on you.
While we're celebrating high school, let's show off this little gem.
Prom! Prom is a weird word, isn't it. Keep saying it over and over. Prom Prom Prom Prom.
But look! I wore a sleeveless dress to my prom just like you did mom! My picture should should have been in black & white too, though, because I was pasty white. White porcelain. Or glue colored.
Back to you.
 Do you remember the time you "babysat" for the twins?
Good thing I was there to help out by taking pictures.
Speaking of babysitting, who are these two hoodlums with you in the church directory photo?
I'm not sure what the comment had to do with babysitting. At least it provided a transition. Transitions matter in Mom tributes. While we're gazing at the precious picture of you with my sweetheart nieces, let me take a minute to reflect with you on that time of our lives. Thank you for being Jesus to those girls. So young an impressionable, and having gone through such heartbreak (all of us), you remained strong, and kept us all together. The only way you did it was because you were constantly on your knees before our Heavenly Father. What a legacy you will leave us.
Not that I'm saying you are going to die soon! 
Gosh. I have to put a disclaimer on everything I say.
Thank you for the nights you stayed up with me to watch Star Search. Limited Warranty! Thank you for letting me dance in the living room pretending I was Grace Kelly dancing with Fred Astaire. (Thank you Aunt Patti, for letting me borrow your movies).  You didn't even make fun of me. Maybe you did when you snuck to your bedroom. If you did, I'm ending this tribute.
Just kidding.
You brought us together every Christmas by presenting your precious Jesse Tree.
How many families can say they do this?
Bobbie, next year I get to hang the cross!
Family.
Remember the fun times you've had with yours:
I love you Mom.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

BEST. MOM TRIBUTE. EVER.

Holly said...

LOVE this!!! Your mom's one blessed momma :)